The Philippines is a beautiful country. There are many things to see and do. There are also some helpful things to know before visiting. Our staff has a lot of experience traveling and living in the Philippines, especially Cebu. You can access some of our tips, thoughts, and resources by clicking on this link.
Thank you for being interested in being part of the CSC community. CSC enjoys many friends from all over the world and we always love making more. While our efficient processes make it easy to use your financial support to care for children, it can be much more difficult to integrate visitors and volunteers into a day at CSC. We are happy to try because we highly value every effort someone wants to make to join us in this work, but it is important to understand some of the ways it can be challenging:
- Our program functions around the stability and consistency of routine schedules and familiar faces. This stability is a necessary ingredient for our children to feel secure and it is something they often lacked before coming to CSC. Visitors and even month long-volunteers may have a lot to offer CSC, but it works against the stability and consistency our children need.
- Children living in shelter are often filled with anxious expectations. They are hoping for the day that they'll be adopted. For many kids this means they may see visitors or volunteers as people who could adopt them. This desire often expresses itself by prompting children to become extra social, or push themselves to perform; hoping the visitor or volunteer will be impressed. Since CSC is responsible for managing the expectations of our children and promoting healthy boundaries we have to limit and monitor volunteer and visitor interactions with children.
- In order for CSC to operate successfully 365 days a year for the past 30 years, we have had to build a system, develop a budget, and hire the regular staff who can provide for our kids. This means that:
- CSC does not have opportunities for volunteers to come and serve meals to our kids.
- Is not available for visitors to celebrate their own birthdays with the kids.
- We generally do not need toy donations, though if you inquire, we may have a specific occasional need.
The best way that you can be a part of all that goes on at CSC is to financially support the work. There are many ways you can do this. Please check out our donation options page to see the available options. We would love to partner with you to change lives in the Philippines.